The fecal immunochemical test (FIT) has received an overwhelming response by the primary care community since launching on June 24. In fact, LifeLabs has already received over 60,000 FIT requisitions province-wide. Thank you for all your help with this success!
A quick reminder:
• FIT has replaced FOBT as the recommended screening test for Ontario residents ages 50-74 who are at average risk for colorectal cancer.
• FIT is an easier test:
o There are no dietary or medication restrictions (FIT measures human globin from hemoglobin)
o FIT requires only one stool sample using a sampling stick instead of a smear
• FIT is twice as sensitive as FOBT (82% vs. 38% sensitivity with no drop in specificity)
• Patients prefer FIT because it’s easier and has no dietary or medication restrictions
To order FIT for your patients, complete a FIT requisition and submit it directly to LifeLabs by fax, 1-833-676-1427. Please do not give your patient the FIT requisition to take home. Upon receiving the requisition from your office, LifeLabs will assess it for completeness and verify patient eligibility. LifeLabs will then mail a barcoded FIT kit directly to your patient.
Given the high volume of requisitions received in the first few weeks, if you/your colleagues have difficulty faxing the requisition, please note that LifeLabs has a dedicated FIT helpline: 1-833-676-1426.
Helpful Hints for Patients
I advise my patients to do three basic things:
1. Date the kit.
2. Collect the poop – they can watch this fun, animated FIT video from our friends at Windsor Regional Hospital for easy-to-follow instructions, and I usually keep a fit kit handy to show how much easier it is to use.
3. Mail the completed kit in the provided envelope within two days.
For positive FIT tests, please refer to a hospital near you using this Colonoscopy Referral Form. These FIT+ patients should be scoped within 8 weeks. High-risk patients with a first-degree family history of colorectal cancer, previous high-risk polyps or inflammatory bowel disease should be screened with colonoscopy.
You are welcome to watch our recent FIT webinar and review our FIT FAQ.